St. Mary's Church, Marlborough
St Mary's, Marlborough is situated in the town centre at the east end of the High Street. The church is open every day from 7.30am to 5.00pm. Visitors appreciate the calm but welcoming atmosphere of the light and spacious interior.
St Mary’s Anglican Church is part of the Marlborough Anglican team, together with St George’s Preshute and St John the Baptist in Mildenhall (Minal). It is also part of Marlborough Churches Together and works closely with Christchurch (Methodist), St Thomas More (Roman Catholic), the Society of Friends, and Marlborough College.
A warm welcome is extended to all, both to visitors to the area and those coming to live in Marlborough, Manton & Mildenhall.
Regular Sunday services are 8am Holy Communion, 10am Parish Communion with Sunday School (All Age Worship 1st Sunday of the month) and 5.30pm Informal Worship. There is also a midweek Eucharist on Wednesdays at 10.30am.
History of St Mary’s Church
It is assumed that there was a Saxon church here in the late 11th century and a Norman church was built c.1160, of which only a few pieces remain.
In the 15th and early 16th centuries the aisles were rebuilt and extended and a crenellated west tower added. When Marlborough was under a Royalist siege in 1642 the Parliamentarian commander took refuge in the church and the north side of the tower still bears the marks of shot from Royalist guns. The church was partially rebuilt on Puritan lines after a severe fire in the town in 1653.
In 1873 a new chancel was built to the design of G.E. Street and a 15th century window reset as the east window and a south porch added. The church then consisted of a chancel and north chapel, a nave with a south aisle and south chapel and a west tower and south porch.
After the First World War the south chapel was restored as a memorial and the church was thoroughly restored in 1955-7 at a cost of over £7,000.
In 1969 the peal of bells was increased to 8; there were 5 in 1553, which had been increased to 6 in the early 20th century.
In 1924 the benefices of St Mary and St Peter and St Paul were united as the rectory of Marlborough and the parishes were united in 1952 with St Mary's as the parish church. In 1974 it became the only Anglican church in the parish when St Peter and St Paul became redundant.
This image shows the church in 1803.
|Web site||web site link|