Christchurch, New Road, Marlborough
Christchurch is a Methodist church with its entrance in New Road, Marlborough.
All Methodist churches derive from the ministry of John Wesley and he preached at Marlborough in 1745 and 1747, but it was not until 1811 that George Pocock, one of Wesley's Bristol friends and the chief evangelist of northeast Wiltshire, certified a Methodist chapel in Oxford Street. It was well supported in the mid 19th century as evidenced when in 1851, on Census Sunday, 225 people attended the morning service, 50 the afternoon service, and 180 the evening service.
The chapel was extended in 1872 and rebuilt in 1910 with the entrance moved to New Road, which is how it is today, and from then on it was called the New Road Chapel. By a will, proved in 1899, David Goddard bequeathed £500 to provide a manse for the superintendent minister of the Marlborough circuit. A house in London Road, bought in 1905, was replaced in 1970 by one in St. David's Way and a new manse was purchased in Priorsfield in 1996.
From 1979 the Superintendent Minister also served the United Reformed Church. The United Reformed Church closed in 1984 and the two churches united in the newly designed Christchurch (the former Methodist chapel) where the first service was held on 21st October 1984.The partnership with the URC was dissolved in 2011.
John Wesley founded many religious societies in the wake of his evangelistic missions in the United Kingdom during the eighteenth century. In 1739 Wesley started a society in London in a former cannon foundry and from 1741 utilized lay preachers. In 1742 the first classes were formed, and in 1743 the rules of society drawn up. The first conference assembled in 1744 with six clergymen and four laymen present. From 1746 the societies were arranged in circuits under the superintendency of Wesley's helpers and, after his death, were grouped in districts.
The United Reformed Church resulted from a union of the Presbyterian Church of England and the Congregational Church in England and Wales in 1972.
|Web site||web site link|